Vacation and Lawn-mowers

Back from vacation today, a well-needed rest, and only 277 e-mails, not bad. Cleaned out my IE Favorites. Many I read out of habit. Getting away for a week broke the habit, and now I’ve pared it down to the bare essentials. Give me two weeks to add a dozen new Favorites.

Speaking of breaking things, I ran over a large rock with the lawn mower shortly before leaving on vacation. Not only did I bend the blade, but I also bent the crankshaft. The mower is lost. S wants me to buy an electric mower. They may cost a little more (for the cordless especially, but they are much quieter and pollute far less. Drawbacks? Some take many hours to charge – not a problem really. I also wonder if I can do my entire yard without stopping to recharge?? Absolutely will not work with a cord – super nerdy.

I am considering purchasing a reel mower again. They are real cheep – even the top-of-the-line models. One problem is that they are not too good on weeds. They tend to “caress” them, just rolling over the tops. Also – we have many trees and come fall it is nice to just mow over the leaves, turning them into mulch. On the other hand, I could always rent a mower for the one or two weeks of serious mulching. Also – the reel mower would be cool – very retro, and maybe the kids could start mowing earlier. I would hesitate to let them use the gas-powered model until they were around 12 or so.

Comments

Popular Posts