Big Bird, Small Bird

On Sunday I chanced to see Minnesota's smallest bird and it's largest bird (OK - almost the largest*) in the space of one hour, from that most excellent of birding positions - - shooting baskets in my driveway.

The smaller - Ruby Throated Hummingbird - must have been migrating through when it stopped for a drink from the Nasturium in front of our house. It hovered for a few seconds, then started flying directly towards me before quickly veering to it's left.

Almost an hour later I spotted a Bald Eagle circling the field behind our house. It was riding the thermals upwards and heating southwest.

Not bad for unplanned birding activity - no binocs.

*Without consulting my field guides I believe the Turkey Vulture is actually the largest in MN, Bald Eagle second largest?

Comments

Popular Posts