Figured out my blog problems almost by myself. Was able to do a short test blog with no problem, but anything longer (that inlcuded block quotes and links) just kept coming out all messy. Also - - when I tried to post I kept getting error messages saying either my div was not closed, or my div had not been opened.
After trying unsuccessfully to either close the div by adding div or open the unclosed div by typing div I gave up and went to the Blogspot help site. Saw that one user had commented that his editor was adding div tags where it shouldn't have. He just deleted his div tags and viola - perfect.
Aha - - I didn't even know the div tags shouldn't be there. I went back, deleted the div tags, and I'm up and running.
Almost as satisfying as replacing the toilet (I love plumbing!).