Joe's Crabby Shack

Been in something of a funk lately (see below). Thought it was getting better yesterday, and then we went to Joe’s Crab Shack—or Joe’s Crabby Shack as I’m now calling it.

Background: Yesterday was summer-like with the temperature about 80 degrees and sunny skies. It’s the kind of day when we go to Joe’s Crab Shack because you can eat outside on their “porch” while the kids play on the little playground out back. Mind you, I don’t go to Joe’s in the “off season” since it’s not really that great, but during warm weather it’s a different story - no other place I know of where you can eat outside next to a playground for the kids. No more whiny, squirmy kids, “When’s our food going to come?”

We arrive at Joe’s to be told that they are not serving dinner outside, only appetizers, since they are short-staffed. They had two large parties arriving shortly, what looked like an end-of-the-year girls high school volleyball team party, and (I kid you not) a wedding reception. The decision was made - on one of the first great days of the year - to not serve dinner outside. After a little discussion we decided to eat inside, but let the kids play outside before dinner.

The kids proceed outside to play, and I go with them to watch. As I walk across the “porch” area I glance quickly at the food being consumed by the outside patrons. 8 year old M is the first to notice that these people are eating regular dinners. Sure enough - I ask the waiter and he said that, Yes, these folks were served dinner but that was before the decision was made to stop serving outside. OK - I can buy that - I think.

About 10 minutes later, a young couple is seated outside. No big deal I think - they probably want to enjoy their appetizers in the sun. Of course - two minutes later, there’s the waiter tableside describing all the dinner specials for the evening. Then I did something I hardly ever do - - the minute he leaves the table, I confront him. “Are you serving dinner out here?” He looks confused. Then I say, “because we were told that we couldn’t be served dinner outside.” Mumble, mumble, “I’ll talk to the manager.”

[I’ve run out of energy to tell this stupid story so I will cut to the chase]. Manger visits table, explains that other large parties are here - short staffed. Apologies from manager, offers to “comp” us desert—which they don’t. Hobbled Wife protests. In the end we get free drinks.

All I want to know is - given the incredible weather and number of kiddies at the restaurant, why didn’t they close a section of indoor tables to allow outdoor dining on one of the nicest evenings of the season? And why did they immediately tell us (and another family with kids - “No outdoor dining”), yet seat the nice attractive young couple outside and serve them dinner? Hmmm.

_____________________

Funk explanation: Last week a friend of our family died. Bill died suddenly from a pulmonary embolism. Totally unexpected. He leaves a wife, 5 year old son (who went to preschool with the Dude), and 18 month old daughter. I’ve become almost accustomed to the stories of suffering amongst our friends (cancers, tumors, brain hemmorages, etc over the past few years), but this sudden death really knocked us of our feet - we can’t imagine how the family is coping.

S went to that funeral last Friday. Last Sunday, we attended the funeral of one of my father's cousins. Not nearly so unexpected, but two funerals in 3 days is a lot.

Comments

Popular Posts