11 Years Ago Tonight

I’m still here, but have been too busy to blog. As I emailed Shana this morning,

It feels crazy busy around 2:30 p.m. A quick email check confirms it. 90 emails so far today – and that’s not counting the ones I’ve deleted already. These are the ones I should read or at least “think” about before deleting unread.

Counting them doesn’t make them go away – but it makes me feel justified in feeling overwhelmed.

Fun things in my life of late:

It’s the Dude’s 11th birthday today. When I think back on that night I shudder. He came “this” close to being born in the back seat of a 91 Honda Civic. As it was we pulled in to the hospital at 9:05 p.m. and he was born at 9:10, or 9:15 or something. Whew!

I’ve been enjoying this New York Times blog, Disunion, a day-by-day through the Civil War. I guess you could say I’m looking forward to the next four years. I’ve been something of a Civil War buff since about 3rd grade. Back then I was crazy for Lincoln. I remember raising my hand to offer Lincoln anecdotes in class – totally uncalled for. Mrs. Larson was a saint for putting up with me. The other kids must have thought I was a nut.

At the library on Saturday, I stumbled upon this book. Affection and Trust: The Personal Correspondence of Harry S. Truman and Dean Acheson, 1953-1971. It’s great! I love reading old correspondence – as it gives an interesting look into the everyday life of days gone by. I had no idea Truman and Acheson were such close friends. What a mis-matched pair from the outside.

Comments

Popular Posts