Migration Nation



Minnesota Birdnerd has some cool radar shots of bird migration. It’s been a very busy week for bird migration and if you know what you are looking for, it’s a lot of fun. I’m still kind of an amateur birder, but not so dense that I can’t spot loons on Twin Cities area lakes.

Here’s an interesting post from the MOU listserv about the back-log of loons on lakes near the city:

Today, I too went loony and checked a few likely spots in Dakota County for a total of 53 Common Loons. Loons have been stacked up locally for several days due to weather and ice conditions to the north. By far the most loons I've seen in Dakota County in the 8-years I've been birding the area.

19 - Spring Lake RP near Hastings
8 - Pt. Douglas near Prescott
25 - Black Dog (22 on west lake-one sleeping raft of 17; 3 on east lake)
1 - new yard bird on my pond.

I had 15 at Lake Byllesby April 6 and D.S. counted 31 at Black Dog on the 7th. I did NOT check Byllesby today.


The Dude and I witnessed this loon-jam first-hand Saturday, driving between parties. We spotted two loons on Lake Cornelia, in Edina, at Highway 62 (the Crosstown) and Valley View Road- practically in the shadow of Southdale.

Comments

Popular Posts