Can You Schedule Romance?

[Today's walk:  Camera/phone on the path.]

Rest easy, this isn't an embarrassing post about how older couples with kids find creative ways to “be alone”.  No, this is about those darn kids! 

At my age I find myself thinking, and even sometimes saying out loud, “Kids nowadays!” 
  
I've had a chance to observe the latest fad and I don’t approve.  That fad?  The scheduled breakup. 

Isn't life convenient?  Now, we can schedule our break-ups.  All the kids do it; they schedule break-ups before college departures.  The scheduled heartbreak is designed to save them the heartache of a “real” breakup bound to occur later.  It’s very practical – but also very unromantic in my humble opinion.

OK, I admit it – I’m an old romantic.  Back in my day we promised never to part, and hung in there through long-distance relationships, the inevitable meeting of “the other”, and the horrible break-up. 

Was the old way bad?  Of course, many hearts were broken.  Many tears were shed.  However, perhaps those breakups launched a thousand pop songs, and other works of art.

Is the new way better?

Let’s wait and see.



Comments

Popular Posts